Post every terror attack on India, a clamour for retribution against Pakistan emerges. Question is what can India do? What are our options?
Most people are tired of diplomatese. To get unequivocal world support, India has to ally with a power group or develop economic muscle. When China flexes its economic muscle, world listens. India is a defensive military power. Our economy is growing, yet we are a smaller economy compared to China, leave aside US. Despite so much noise about isolation of Pakistan post Uri attack, Russia is undertaking military exercise with Pakistani army.
There are several potential military options that India can exercise, which may included :
- surgical strike inside Pakistan,
- destroying terrorist camps,
- covert operation to eliminate select targets,
- full fledged war
None of the above, however, are tenable. Potential problems may include:
- Enemy is likely to strike back;
- Potential of nuclear escalation;
- Governments development agenda likely go for a toss;
- India may lose goodwill around world community, and pressure is likely to develop on India to pull back;
The following few things, however, India must do :
- Fortify her borders and her defence installations against any sneak attack by suicidal fidayeen.
- India must employ technology to prevent infiltration inside the base and if possible border. Use drone, camera, laser and robot as first line of defence. Any breaking of circuit, and suspicious image should be greeted by armed escort. This way we may be able to minimise human casualty.
- Army bases should also make it mandatory, for anybody entering buffer zone, declare themselves or be at risk of being shot. Unless strict, disciplined and SOP driven action is taken, human casualty cannot be minimised. It must be remembered that during Mumbai attack, terrorists sailed all the way upto Mumbai without any challenge. Mumbai is the headquarter of western naval command. It seems we have not learnt much since Mumbai. Because in Pathankot and Uri bases, breach of security happened.